Friday, February 12, 2010

Indulgence

No, not chocolate, books. I can curl up in the chair by the fireplace and read from beginning to...well maybe not end but pretty darn close.




















I had a wonderful visit with my parents the other day and not just because I enjoy their company. I mentioned that the kids would have a book sale at their school and out came a couple shopping bags of books that my parents didn't want anymore. So of course, I brought them home and sorted through them. Like Christmas all over again.

Some were a quick pass - old cook books without much charm or interesting recipes. Others though I can't quite pass on yet. Like The Great Garlic Book or Lucy's Kitchen (that one's just a loan anyway). One of the best things about borrowing books from my family is the range in selection.

I highly recommend Reading Lolita in Tehran by Azar Nafisi. An interesting memoir chronicling Ms. Nafisi's experience teaching English Literature in Tehran - both for the political and social insight as well as how she relates books and their characters to events in Tehran during the rule of Ayatollah Khomeini. Her book is mine and I'm keeping it!



On a lighter note, I've just started a thriller, The Walking Dead by Gerald Seymour.

No comments:

Post a Comment