Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Strawberry traditions

For the more than 20 years, my dad and I have gone berry picking. Always strawberries, sometimes raspberries, we pick together and enjoy time for just the two of us.


This year we went to the Dekok farm out March Rd. and for the first time had a choice of strawberry varieties. We picked Kent: medium berries with good sugar content although not as sweet as the smaller Veestar (these were about finished so picking would have taken more effort). The berries are great - sweet, ripe and I didn't get one with a mass of green seeds on the bottom.


With two four Litre baskets, there's lots to feast on. Last night we had strawberry shortcakes for dessert. Today, I made jam using the recipes in the Certo package. Thick strawberry is for my man - it's the only kind he eats - and inspired by the jam my niece gave me for Christmas, I made strawberry/rhubarb for me. Of course we share!

Now after that earthquake today - got me and the dog shaking - we need something sweet to restore ourselves. Guess I'll have the skimmings on leftover shortcakes!

No comments:

Post a Comment