Thursday, September 16, 2010

For when it's cold outside...

...and rainy.

Curried carrot soup
Sorry there's no scratch and snitch because the aroma is devine.

We had a roast chicken last night so I made stock with the carcass. In the fall/winter season, I'll often steam root veggies in a bit of broth and then puree it with an immersion blender for an easy soup for lunch. Just use whatever veggie you like and add some seasoning, spice or herbs. If you're feeling decadent, add a bit of cream or sautee the veggies first in butter.

For today's soup I sauteed three carrots in butter and curry powder. I then added some chicken stock to steam the carrots. When they were soft, I pureed, then added enough stock to thin to the right consistency. After adjusting for taste and bringing the temp back up, I had a satisfying lunch of soup, homemade bread and butter, and a pear for dessert. yum!

PS. curses on cold butter!

3 comments:

  1. Good stock just makes all the difference, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel warmer already, on this dreary day, just looking at your soup! I also made soup yesterday. Both kids were home sick with colds, so chicken soup to the rescue. I freeze all chicken carcasses just for this purpose.

    ReplyDelete